Sunday 29 September 2019

Feedback Thoughts

Feedback. (Source)

Article that really stood out to me from the moment I read the title was - "Seven ways to crush self-doubt by John Spencer" and instantly I knew I had to read it. Growing up I was constantly doubting myself and my work. Until this very day I still doubt myself and my work which only resulted in never going out of my way to create something new as I was in constant worry. The first strategy written about was something I have been trying to do for several years now. 
"Don't Compare Yourself To Others."
This is incredibly difficult to NOT do especially when you are surrounded with talented people. I constantly compare my work because I doubt myself and my abilities. When reading further and being told to "drop imperfection" that was especially difficult to read as I live my life as a perfectionist. It's in my blood, yet the time has come to drop these perfectionist qualities and learn to do what I love. 

Something else I loved reading in this article was a quote from Carol Dweck talking about babies. They do not feel humiliation, they are driven to learn and learn some of the most difficult things in life such as how to walk, talk, read. Yet, when we get older we fear humiliation and making mistakes? Why are we told to stop making mistakes as we get older instead of being told how to grow from these mistakes? Society has created fixed mindsets that are astonishing difficult to get out of as we are constantly reminded during our work and college - "don't make that mistake again."

"Instead of being mired in self-doubt, you get to treat your work as an experiment. If it didn't work, it's not a failure."
 I love looking at projects-in-progress or work in such a way. Rather than immersing yourself in self-doubt about your work treat it as an experiment that you are able to constantly work on and improve as you go along! In my opinion, this entire article is worth a read. I think it has really helped me in trying to better myself and deal with my continuous self-doubt.

The second article I read was "Why It's So Hard to Hear Negative Feedback by Tim Herrera" and it was also a fascinating piece to read. When presented with negative feedback our minds instantly think failure and our egos get bruised. In the article we can read that during a study it is shown that people go so far as to avoid people who give 'negative feedback' and their brains do not take the information in. If we avoid negative feedback there is no way to improve ourselves and work. You will constantly create work that is within your comfort zone rather than expanding your mind.
"If you're receiving the feedback, frame it so it will ultimately lead to self-improvement."

No comments:

Post a Comment