Tuesday 8 October 2019

Game Idea Research

Super Mario 3D Land (Source)

Based off my research from the last project post, I would like to stick to basing my game off Super Mario Bros but in 3D, like Super Mario Bros 3D Land. As we are making 3D based games I believe making something simple yet exciting could be very interesting.

The player structure I would use is solitaire. Some ideas I have for the game include:


  1. A race, instant death and collecting items - The player would be in a race with time. A simple countdown will begin and the player must run and find hidden objects around the area. If the player fails to collect all items there is instant death and the player is brought back to the beginning of the game.
  2. Hidden items and timed race - The player must search the area and find items that are hidden. Once an item is found, time will be added to the countdown until all items are found. If all are not found the player dies and the game repeats.
  3. Enemies attack and collecting items - The player is walking around in order to find items hidden around while enemies are appearing and attacking the player.
Although these ideas are more or less similar in order to make the game most enjoyable I need to combine these ideas and create something that will include all these ideas such as: A timed race to find items while killing enemies. This may be difficult to code but I believe it could be a simple game that will be enjoyed. For this game, I hope to use graphics that are more on the 'bad' side.

'Bad' Video Game Graphics (Source)

I would like to focus more on the gameplay of the game and by using this 'bad' style of graphics I believe it will give my game a 'funny' style which will make it more enjoyable to play because you will be laughing at the not so amazing graphics while being entertained by the game itself. 

Winner! (Source)

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ingrida,

    This is a very well written blog. It seems to me that you genuinely enjoy writing, and you are able to communicate your ideas very effectively.

    I think you're on a winner with regards to your game idea. It may be tough to get the code to do all of the things you want to do, but I think it will be well within your abilities to make it work.

    If you don't mind me mentioning - the only thing I would be wary of is the 'bad' graphics design choice. I think the idea is actually a great one, and I can see where your coming from. Having less than stellar graphics will allow the focus to stay on the gameplay. All I would recommend is to have it look very intentional, so that it is very definitely a design choice, rather than a lack of competency. I hope you don't mind me giving this bit of feedback (and to be honest, I had to nitpick to find some feedback to give!)

    I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing how your game progresses. Having just started with Unity myself, it's exciting and challenging at the same time to try and make a game from the ground up. Best of luck with it.

    - Ultan

    ReplyDelete
  2. well a good day to you Ingrida.

    I did very much so enjoy reading your concept game idea that you have decided to go with. I do love the Mario games myself and it is something that seems very interesting to make. Your game modes are a very interesting idea as well to make it something of your own and it would really help make it stand out amongst the rest. I also do think that the idea to make the world look like a really weird land and basing it on the likes of bad design like the game of Bubsy 3d as you have pointed out above, hopefully it will work really well with the gameplay that you are making with it. I look forward to seeing how it all turns out.\

    Cheerio!!
    -Sam

    ReplyDelete