Saturday 12 October 2019

Games MDA

Simple diagram of MDA. (Source)

Mechanics, Dynamics and Aesthetics (MDA) was developed and taught as part of the Game Design and Tuning Workshop at the Game Developers Conference, San Jose 2001-2004. (Source)

Mechanics are a synonym for the 'rules' of the game. Examples of common game mechanics include cards, shooters and golf.

Dynamics describe the play of the game when there are rules. Dynamic models are analytical in nature.

Aesthetics are the players experience in the game. There are eight kinds of 'fun': sensation, fantasy, narrative, challenge, fellowship, discovery, expression and submission. These are then clarified into charades, quake and final fantasy.

These three are casually linked. If we want a good model they must be formal, abstract and proven. 

From reading I have learnt exactly what MDA is. I now know how to use it in game design and what I need to know for when I am creating my own game.

No comments:

Post a Comment