Friday 1 November 2019

Prototype

This week I have started to begin designing my prototype game. Following my GDD, I have started creating the terrain. Using Adobe XD I have created a map that somewhat represents what I hope to create. However, I am not entirely sure it will come out the exact same as my wireframe.

(G) Represents Gems around World.

I have begun with building a forest. This was not mentioned in my GDD but due to complications in trying to make a lake I have replaced it with a forest. I have been struggling to create a lake in my game because of the height of the terrain. I googled and searched videos however I was unsuccessful in making it work. In my forest I have included a blood red grass and several gems in the colour #62CDC1. I have created two paths - one having many gems in the road and one path with only a single gem. The player must choose which path they want to go through.

Forest Area with Hidden Gems.

So far I have found creating the trees, grass and gems very easy! On the downside, the game takes a lot of time and patience to make as my laptop becomes slow once more and more content is added to the game. I have added a 'Ding' sound to my gems, using audio from Jimmy Vegas' videos. 

I am meeting my targets by following the tutorials supplied by Jimmy Vegas. They have been simple tutorials yet they include all things I want in my game. I have come across some difficulties however in this moment in time my game is coming along quite well. I have added a first person character to my game also. Following my wireframe of my game I believe it will come to be something very similar, if not the same. I am quite disappointed in not being able to create my lake but I have found things to replace it!

I am also currently working on a logo for the game as well as graphics for the main menu and game over screen. I have been unsuccessful in finding music I thought suit the game however once I finish my game I'll have a better feel for what I would like. I think in this current moment it is difficult to find music as I am not sure how the game will turn out, by choosing music in the end I can adjust it carefully to match the atmosphere of the game.

I hope to create the mountains and fences/stone walls by next week and maybe some more things if I am able. I am unsure about adding a house to my game as I am afraid it will consume too much time, but if I have time I would really like to add it to the gameplay. Once I am finished with designing my terrain to how I want it to look I will work on adding a countdown timer and gem counter to the game. So far I am content with how my game is coming along and I feel confident in my idea and progress so far.

3 comments:

  1. Hi Ingrida
    This is a really good protype for your game. Your game world is interesting and I like the way you have it laid out for people to see. It was a good idea to draw them out on adobe XD. I was like your screenshot of the game so far it looks like you have made great process in making your game so far and adding that picture shows that off the game map and gives me a better understanding of what your game map will look like.
    I am a bit confused by the map you made on adobe XD it makes not sure what the map will look like and I think you could have done it on a different application or it could have been drawn but it was still a good attempt. Overall your protype is very good and it looks like your game will turn out well.
    Jamie Gannon

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Ingrida,

    I'm glad to see that your game is coming along well and that you have figured out solutions to any problems you may have. I have found that following Jimmys tutorials have helped me with many aspects of my game and its good to know that this is the same for you as well. Hopefully your laptop doesn't slow you down too much in the coming weeks. I really like the fact that you're creating a logo and designing a title and end screen for your game, I think you're the first person I've seen whose talked about doing that. I can't wait to see how they turn out and what music you choose for your game.

    -Casper :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey again ingrida!
    This post is so inspiring. Ive been struggling a bit with my own game but to know that it is going well for you makes me believe that i can do well too. My own laptop is crashing and slowing down as well the more assets i add. You can find a bunch of nice free houses on the asset store and the are super easy to place
    good luck
    -Alex

    ReplyDelete