Monday 21 October 2019

Game GDD

GDD (Game Design Document) (Source)

The article on 'Design Considerations' by Greg Aleknevicus was an interesting read and from reading the article I have complied a list of components the author had talked about, narrowing it down in order to make it simpler to understand and seeing what I could apply to my own game from the advice given. 
  • Components
The design of components can go a long way in determining how much a game is enjoyed, which is very important as if a game is not enjoyed then all efforts are pointless. A good game does not necessarily require good components.
  • The Box
For the most part, the design of the box has nothing to do with how the game plays but there are still issues to consider. Most first impressions of a game come from the box and so a good design will go a long way to actually selling it.
  • Cards
Does not apply to my game.
  • Themes
Have the theme work with the rules rather than against them.
  • Rules
Blind testing the rules is absolutely critical as well as including many examples. Include a detailed list of components.
  • Summary
There are things that a publisher can do to improve a game that does involve spending a money may be worthwhile.

From reading this article alone I have a better understanding on what I must do in order to create a game that works well and is appealing to the audience. All these components and tips are essential although not all will be applied to my game, e.g cards does not apply to my game.

No comments:

Post a Comment